quinta-feira, maio 31, 2007

Poetas

Laura Riding

This is not exactly what I mean
Any more than the sun is the sun.
But how to mean more closely
If the sun shines but approximately?
What a world of awkwardness!
What hostile implements of sense!
Perhaps this is as close a meaning
As perhaps becomes such knowing.
Else I think the world and I
Must live together as strangers and die-
A sour love, each doubtful whether
Was ever a thing to love the other.
No, better for both to be nearly sure
Each of each-exactly where
Exactly I and exactly the world
Fail to meet by a moment, and a word.

Laura Riding (1901 - 1991)
The Great Modern Poets
An Anthology of the Best Poets
and Poetry since 1900
Edited by Michael Schmidt
QUERCUS


Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I ame the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I´ll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
'Eat in the kitchen,'
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed-

I, too, am America.

Langston Hughes (1902 - 1967)
The Great Modern Poets
An Anthology of the Best Poets
and Poetry since 1900
Edited by Michael Schmidt
QUERCUS

Sem comentários: